23 July 2010

peanut butter pie

This has been one of my favorite desserts for as long as I can remember. It's also a classic Amish/Mennonite specialty (for those of you Man vs. Food watchers, this is the pie that Adam had at Yoder's Restaurant on the Sarasota episode). Here is the not-quite-from-scratch-but-just-as-yummy version.


Peanut Butter Pie Ingredients:
1 deep dish pie shell- I just use the ones from the freezer section
2 boxes of vanilla pudding mix (about 1.5 oz. each) 
3 c. cold milk
1 heaping tablespoon of peanut butter (I use creamy)
1 8oz container of Cool-Whip

Peanut Butter Crumbs:
3 tbsp. peanut butter
1 c. powdered sugar


Bake pie shell as directed on the box, set aside.
Mix vanilla pudding and milk until thickened, add 1tbsp. peanut butter.
Mix thoroughly and place in fridge to set.

In the meantime, combine 3 tbsp. peanut butter and powdered sugar in a bowl. Use a fork to mix and continue until crumbs form.

Take pie shell and pour 1/3 of the crumbs in the bottom of the shell. Add pie filling and pour 1/3 of the crumbs on top of the filling. Spread about 1/2 a container (or more) of Cool-Whip on top of the that and add remaining crumbs on top of the Cool-Whip.



1 comment:

  1. Oh, that looks soooo good! I wish I could eat that but my cholesterol and trigs are very high. Bummer, because it looks too good! :)

    ReplyDelete

Roses are red, violets are blue,
leave a comment for me and I'll leave one for you!