03 March 2010

losing my balance

When I was 4 yrs old, a neighbor girl, Angie, came over to our house to display her newly acquired cartwheel skills. Being the novice that she was, she fell and then promptly announced to me and my mom that she had lost her balance. Immediately I began looking under pillows and behind chairs, inside cupboards and on top of counters. When my mom asked me what I was doing I said, "Looking for Angie's balance!"

These days I am looking for balance in a different way. It seems like ever since Ava was born I cannot get back into full swing. I try to juggle my time between keeping the house, doing pre-school with my son, running errands, spending quality time with my kids and my man, and sitting at the feet of Jesus (not in that order...hopefully). Not to mention church stuff, family get togethers, pre-school co-op and play-dates. Oh, and blogging. ;O)

The problem is, something always gets dropped. And it's usually not the fun stuff! I let the laundry pile up. I put pre-school off for "one more day." I neglect my husband's physical needs (well, that is fun, but still...), etc. And all the while I'm thinking, "Lisa, get your act together!" 

So, I've been asking the Lord to show me what I can do to find my balance again. And this is what I'm hearing:

God: "Fruit of the Spirit." 
 Me: "Huh?" 
God: "Fruit of the Spirit. You know, love, joy, peace, self control..."
Me: "Ohhh..."
God: "Yep. If you're letting my Spirit control your life you will have the time and energy to accomplish everything I want you to do. And, you won't be wasting your time on things that I don't want you to do. Like spending too much time on the computer. And getting to bed waayyy too late." 
Me: "Okay. But you're gonna have to help me. I am so weak."
God: "I know. And I have fresh grace for you every time you need it. I AM the balance you are looking for."

"But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things! Those who belong to Christ Jesus have nailed the passions and desires of their sinful nature to his cross and crucified them there. Since we are living by the Spirit, let us follow the Spirit’s leading in every part of our lives."
Galatians 5:22-25

So, as of this moment, I am making a new commitment to be led by the Spirit in all aspects of my life. Please feel free to hold me accountable (yes, Marko...that means you too!) to being the Spirit-led woman I'm supposed to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Roses are red, violets are blue,
leave a comment for me and I'll leave one for you!